NewSpace 2012 Space Conference began with a talk by David Radzanowski of NASA talked about how the agency will deal with the commercial launch services firms. I missed most of his presentation but did him respond to a question about unfunded space agreements and he said they would consider those for the next phase of the commercial crew program if there were firms interested in doing that.
He also hinted at using COTS model to other tasks besides launch.
A panel discussion on "Nurturing New Ideas" with
- Amaresh Kollipara (Earth2Orbit LLC) - moderator
- Dr. Khalid Al-Ali (University of California, Office of NASA Partnerships)
- Tom Atchison - (Mavericks Civilian Space Foundation)
- Alexander MacDonald (NASA Ames)
- Sean Mahoney (Masten Space)
(See NewSpace Speakers page for their backgrounds.)
- Internet is the model of most relevance.
- Mix of private, govt, universities, etc. made it happen
- Great idea is not good enough.
- Got to deal with failure as high possibility
- Non-profit background
- high costs and long term projects make innovation difficult
- PC and internet progress was helped by cooperative efforts
- Regulatory issues with launch add costs ...